Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Negative space.

If life were like a painting, I think we often forget about the negative space. We get caught up looking at the parts that stick out and draw most of our attention; the things we want to look at. Then we begin to walk away, moving on to the next painting- perhaps something more interesting. But as we continue on our way, we look at the painting again, but this time we notice the negative space. That area behind the shapes that were painted on... the shapes created in the space between. At this point we realize that the masterpiece is not created merely by what we choose to see at our first, hasty glance. It is created by those prominant shapes, but only when supported by the space surrounding them. The true beauty lies in the negative space. That area that holds the rest of the painting together, but often goes unnoticed. If only we could shift our focus, to see the negative space. To see those around us who make our lives so much more beautiful, but often remain unnoticed and unappreciated. What if we allowed ourselves to see the negative space? I think our lives would be so rich and so sweet.

To the ones who lay in the negative space: thank you for making life beautiful.

1 comment:

KMH said...

Moto, I like your blog. Yes, I read it. And I like it. I wish I knew you better so I could see the contemplative side of you more often. :) We should work on that...