Monday, January 1, 2007

The Pain of Music

Most people wouldn't consider music painful. Maybe a song or two. Sometimes I think it is. I'm not talking about music like whatever you might have on your iPod or listen to from someone's iTunes or your satellite radio. I mean music- like when it is just me and my guitar. Somehow it is painful. But, I think it is a good sort of pain. Sometimes I can want so desperately to say something, and have no reasonable means of doing so. The music says everything. I wanted to say it, and I tried. I just couldn't. The music did. And that is the pain. It steals the expression of my inmost thoughts before I have the chance to formulate something adequate. I wanted to say it. It was mine and it was stolen from me. If there is such thing as a good pain, this might qualify. There is still a certain relief which comes from this musical theivery. I just wanted to say it myself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you want pain in music, check out dragonforce. They reign supreme!