Thursday, January 12, 2012

Sincerely, M.

When I am struck by a particular moment, I can't help but notice similar moments again and again. Often, they are something relatively insignificant like the shapes of old pieces of gum on the sidewalk or the way different chairs I sit in throughout the day support my body. Sometimes they are a little more meaningful. The following are a few moments I collected more than a year and a half ago. Unfortunately, I only kept the journal for two glorious days. They are written like fragments of a letter to the strangers I observed. Here is what I wrote:

To the man in the hat eating pizza alone on the bench with his head down,

I hope that is the most delicious pizza you have ever tasted. I hope you are hunched over because you don't ever want to let it go and you want that flavor to happen over and over again.  If your head is down because you're eating the same pizza again, and because nobody wanted to eat it with you again, I'm sorry I didn't pay $3 to have a slice and sit on the other side of the bench.  At least then we could have been two strangers eating the same pizza on the same bench.


Sincerely,
M
---


To the old brown dog with a graying face,

I hope your owner loves you and gives you treats every once in a while. I hope you had that look because you were deep in thought and not because you were a sad dog. Sorry I didn't give you a pat on the head.


Sincerely,
M
---

To the man holding hands with a woman on my way to work,

I hope you know how amazingly beautiful the thing you have is.  Something magical happens when one person relies on another so entirely. May you never lose touch with how special this is.  I'm sorry she couldn't see the joy on your face.


Sincerely,
M

---
Do you ever think like this?  Tell me about one of your moments. What do you make up about the strangers you pass on your way to somewhere else?

No comments: